All the days are running into each other. We are a day late but not a dollar short. Check out this week’s Midweek Refuel Blog on our site. Our Focus is on HOPE! It’s hard not to let the issues of the world to consume you. It’s especially hard when you are fighting for your life as you defeat lupus daily. Fear of the unknown can really create a lot of anxiety and stress and this can cause massive lupus flares. Find some nuggets of HOPE in this week’s Midweek Refuel. #LupusInColor #MidweekRefuel #hope #healing #over #pain #everyday
Ever wondered how to meditate? Ever wonder how meditation can help you in your lupus journey? Mindfulness meditation is not about fighting. It’s all about acceptance. And once you have achieved calm, it can help you regain a much needed sense of control when your disease brings you discomfort. Mindfulness meditation involves directing your attention to the present moment with an attitude of openness to accept without judgement.
Every Monday, Lupus In Color will present a short meditation to help empower you in your lupus journey. Part of our new Empowerment Series, we hope this will help you manage your chronic pain as well as keep your mental and emotional health strong in your fight.
Seven Tips to Survive the Holidays With Lupus
The holidays can be fun, but they can also be stressful. While we all are getting so excited about seeing loved ones and hosting events, there can be real fears that can and will bubble up in side of us. There may be fears of missing out, getting sick, or not being able to reach expectations put on us by family members or friends. The anxiety can be high, the worry can be off the charts and the depression may increase.
It’s important as we battle lupus to take it one step at a time. To not become overwhelmed and to not overdo it. If you already find yourself in a crazed frenzy of the holidays, it’s time to take your life and holiday sanity back.
Below are some helpful tips that may help you in finding your calm in the midst of the holiday storm.
- Remember, you don’t have to look at the whole forest. You don’t even have to look at a whole tree. Focus on the branch, the leaf, the bark. Breaking things down into smaller, manageable tasks is a great way to get started.
- Make a realistic list. Divide it between URGENT tasks that must get done, stuff that can wait a few days, and things that you should do, but that can be done at any time.
- Setting a time limit with a built in reward can be a great motivator. For example, put the dishes away while the tea kettle boils. Do a small task, like writing a thank you note, as you can while you wait for food to finish cooking.
- Ask for help – Reach out. Ask others for help. It can be scary, but more often than not, people are grateful to help. People like to feel useful.
- Take a deep breath. Take another. Drink some water and open the blinds. Put on fun music. Making your environment welcoming will help get you moving and ready to start the day.
- Say NO. This one is so hard for so many people especially lupus warriors. If you feel yourself getting stretched thin, or there’s absolutely no way you can do one more thing, you can say NO. Remember you are not responsible for another person’s bad time management. You don’t have to be a “Yes” man or woman to try and please others.
- PACE YOURSELF AND REST. This is hard especially for lupus warriors that may be feeling better and have some energy. Warriors tend to overdo it and then have to pay for it later on. I know many are excited, but it’s important to pace yourself and rest before you overdo it and end up in a bad flare.
Having lupus is challenging and when the holidays roll around it can be overwhelming and difficult to handle. The main thing to stay holiday flare free is to make it a collaborative effort. Don’t think you have to do it all yourself or make an extravagant party that will take you months to recover from. Let your need for perfection go. Remember, your first priority needs to involve doing what you can to protect your health. Don’t stress out and overwork yourself and you will have a nice holiday season.
GUIDE TO SURVIVING LUPUS: Cry when you need to. Scream. Shout. Lay on the floor. Sob in the shower. Be still. Run. Walk. Create. Live in your truth. Share your victories without fear. Listen to your body. Release your pain. Read. Seek support. Be a support. Be a friend. Find friends. Be real. Be honest about what you need and what’s going on with your body. Be courageous. Be strong. Be compassionate. Be vulnerable. Don’t be hard on yourself. Breathe. Don’t fear the hard times. Always understand how amazing you are fighting day by day. #LupusInColor
April 27, 2019 • 2p-4:30p
Glen Allen Library Small Conference Room
Butterflies of Hope Lupus Support Group
LIVIN’ LA VIDA LUPIE
Practicing living a mindful Peaceful life beyond lupus.
Lupus Warriors: Attend a great encouraging support group in a warm, caring, fun environment for you, your family members, caregivers, and loved ones. Come out & share experiences & methods of coping with insights into living well with lupus. #LupusInColor
Too many times warriors beat themselves up and feel guilty for feeling good and walking in that power. They don’t want to get too excited for fear of the moment changing. As you beat lupus, you are allowed to be okay. Sometimes it might feel like you don’t deserve to feel okay, but you do! You deserve happiness beyond lupus. #LupusInColor
Almost time to begin our challenge!
We will be using the MapMyWalk app to log in our workouts. You can download it for FREE at your app store on your phone. You do not need to pay extra for walkout logs.
Once you download the app please do a search for me RACQUEL DOZIER ask to be a friend and I will add you to the LUPUS IN COLOR 30 DAY WALK CHALLENGE. Here you will log your walks or activity that we all can see. #LupusInColor #WalkItOut #30DayWalkChallenge
How exactly do you start a bullet journal?
Come out and find out how you can get organized and focused on your lupus journey,
Bullet Journaling 101 will assist you in lettng go of several planners, old notebooks and bulky vision boards. Keep your lupus goals right in front of you at all times with a bullet journal.
A new and different way to really get focused on your health and wellness as you battle lupus, while keeping you accountable to you!
A supportive and fun learning session that will leave you inspired, encouraged and empowered!
Light refreshments will be served.
Journals provided as a gift from Lupus In Color #LupusInColor